Can Obesity Leads to Knee Joint Pain?Pragya Raiwal
Yes!!!! Excess body weight puts additional weight on weight-bearing joints (knee, hip, and ankle). Knee pain is the most common problem of overweight or obese people.
Knee joint surfaces of each bone are covered in a cartilage. Cartilage is the tissue that makes sure that the bones pass over each other smoothly. It also acts as a kind of cushion or shock absorber.
Increased body weight increases the stress on knee joints which lead to wear and tear, changes in cartilage. If the cartilage wears away, the bones will rub together. This will result in osteoarthritis of the knee.
Ligaments hold knees in place and assist the muscles and tendons that surround the knee. Any damage to the ligaments can lead to knee instability that makes you vulnerable to more serious injuries. Ligament injuries are more frequently caused by movements like twisting, jumping, and deceleration. Obesity makes these movements even more hazardous by increasing the loading forces on your knees.
Warning signs of the knee pain with obesity:
- Cracking sound of the knee also known as crepitus.
- Pain between and around knee joints
- Stiffness at knee joints.
- The pain increased by stair climbing, continuous standing.
- Swelling around the knee.
- Increased joint pain during rainy weather.
Managing Knee Pain
- Weight loss: Losing weight is an important role in keeping your knees healthy. With proper diet consultation and exercise, you can reduce your weight. Suitable exercise for obese people is walking, cycling, swimming and strength training of the overall body. Losing weight not only helps prevent chances of knee replacement surgery and also prevent from any other health problem.
- Get a consultation with the expert: take proper guidance from a physical therapist. Your therapist will guide you proper exercise protocol and preventative measures.
- Knee strengthening exercises: one of the most effective ways to cure knee pain is through Knee strengthening exercises. They can be used to help relieve pain and sometimes even prevent various knee injuries. Weakness in the leg muscles, resulting in more weight going through the knee joints, therefore strong knee muscle will help in reducing weight bearing pressure on the knee.
- Wear knee braces: an effective way for knee joint pain, it will support the knee and prevent from injuries.