Beat the heat with Barley water this summer!admin
Barley water, the elixir to good health has its origins in Greece, South East Asia and Britain.
As a nutritious beverage, mostly it is enjoyed hot or cold flavoured with lemon.
Barley is especially recommended for heart patients and Diabetics as it’s rich in soluble and insoluble fibre. It’s also packed with essential minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese and zinc. It also provides vitamins, antioxidants and phytochemicals that protect your heart.
Ayurveda deems it as a diuretic and an excellent cure for Urinary tract infections (UTIs). It also helps keep your body cool in summers.
It’s certainly a must try for the health benefits it provides:
- Aids Weight loss-As a great source of fibre, it offers satiety and keeps you full longer lowering your food intake. It also metabolises fat.
- Decreases Cholesterol and blood sugar-Beta glucans in barley inhibits absorption of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides from food and improves insulin resistance. Hence, it protects your heart and improves diabetes. It is anti-inflammatory and helps you keep cool as well.
- Detoxifies-Barley cell wall contains sugar beta glucan which aids to flush out toxins from the body and intestine via the urinary tract, thus cleansing your system.
- Remedy for UTIs-Since it is a diuretic, its daily use is highly recommended in Urinary tract infections. It also helps in kidney stones and cysts.
- Barley water prevents Heat exhaustion and gastroenteritis. It is a digestive tonic as per ayurveda. It’s recommended for constipation and diarrhoea cases as well.
To make Barley water-Boil 1/4 cup barley in 4 cups of water, add a pinch of rock salt and cook on low flame for 30 minutes. Strain and crush the grains in a glass. You may top it up with Lemon rind and a dash of honey. Let it cool and keep in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Optional-You can also add cinnamon, cumin seeds, ginger, orange juice etc.
- Crushed grains can be utilised in salads, thickening curries, smoothies etc.