Diarrhoea In Childrenadmin
Diarrhoea is a common disease in childhood leading to dehydration and even death.
- Prompt correction of fluids and electrolyte losses to be done using Oral rehydration solution(ORS) and early feeding.
- How to prepare ORS-Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar to a glass of drinking water.
- Use home made fluids like Rice kanji or buttermilk with salt.
- Small quantities of fluid by mouth,including plain water to be given.
- Continue feeding-Breast milk promotes sodium and water transport, prevents dehydration and weight loss along with providing nutrients.
- Never starve the child.
For 1-2 year old children
- Calorie rich, semi solid, soft diets may be prepared from cereals and dals.
- Fat and sugar reduce the bulk of diets.
- To avoid lactose malabsorption, milk may be mixed with cereal .
- Replace milk with curd/yoghurt if not tolerated.
- Mashed vegetables may be fed to the child.
- Give frequent feeds(6-8) during the day.