Eat zucchini to prevent ailments and stay healthy
Zucchini or Courgette widely known as a vegetable is botanically a fruit belonging to the species Cucurbita pepo. It’s closely related to melons, pumpkins and cucumbers and grow above the ground. The season is in May and July. You can have its flesh, seeds and skin.
Zucchini has low glycaemic index, low carbohydrate and is low in calories. It’s an excellent option for weight watchers. It has high water, potassium, manganese and antioxidants such as Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
- It can be eaten as a healthy raw snack, a salad, a dip, a main course, a side dish or as a nutritious add on to muffins.
- Zucchini is in dark, light, green or white spotted varieties. Green zucchini is low in calories, low in glycaemic index and low in carbohydrates as well. It also has good amount of fibre.
One medium zucchini contains about 30 calories, 2g fibre, 2g protein and various micronutrients. It meets over 50% of your Vitamin C needs.
- Much antioxidants are in Zucchini’s skin, so it’s better not to peel it. It improves blood pressure, protects against clogged arteries and also boosts your immune systems.
- Zucchini gives great satiety and helps to lose weight considerably owing to its high water and fibre content.
- It has other nutrients such as Vitamin B1, B6, B2, Calcium, Zinc, Niacin, protein, folate and Omega-3 fatty acids. The folate level is highly recommended to pregnant ladies also.
- B-vitamins help maintain a healthy metabolism, good mood, cognitive health and prevent fatigue.
- The fibre in zucchini removes cancer causing toxins from cells in colon. The Vitamin C, folate and beta carotene content protects from harmful chemicals that cause colon cancer.
- Beta carotene and Vitamin C are useful in conditions like Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis and asthma.
- It helps to prevent atherosclerosis and diabetes related heart ailments. The magnesium content helps against heart attacks and stroke. The pectin fibre helps to lower cholesterol naturally.
- As it’s easily digested, It brings relief in cases of constipation and diarrhoea.
- It is anti-inflammatory in nature so helps in reducing body inflammation or any gut related conditions.
- It maintains eye-health and protects against cataract and other age related diseases.
- Zucchini helps in Thyroid, insulin and adrenal glands regulation.
- The polysaccharide play a pivotal role in Diabetes prevention.