It helps reduce our risk of heart disease, stroke and other ailments we can avoid. Eating right is not difficult or need us to give up things we like. We should be able to make smart choices to build an overall healthy dietary routine.
Easy ways to healthier eating:
- Whole cereals-Bran, whole wheat, jowar, bajra, Ragi, wheat germ.
- Husked Pulses, beans and legumes
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fish (preferably oily fish with lots of omega-3 fatty acids), lean meats like chicken.
- Low-fat and skimmed dairy products
- Healthier fats and olive, mustard oils
- Nuts (Almonds)and seeds like chia, pumpkin and flax seeds.
- Sweets and added sugars, especially carbonated drinks and tetrapack juices, ice creams, jalebis and gulab jamuns.
- Papads, Pickles, chutneys n Preserves.
- Saturated fat like butter ,cheese, dalda.
- Fatty or processed meats – Lean meats to be selected.
Trans fatty acids like margerines and partially hydrogenated oils.
- Select carefully healthy foods also. Check their Ingredients and nutritive values.
- Read packing labels. Compare nutrition information on packaging and choose products with the lowest sodium, added sugars, saturated fat and trans fat, and no partially hydrogenated oils.
- Count our calories. We should eat only as many calories as we can spend through physical activity. If we want to lose weight, take in fewer calories or burn more calories.
- Cook and eat at home. We can use proper ingredients, regulate quantities and preparation methods
- Eat adequate portions. This is less than we are served, while eating out.
- Don’t exclude any food group. Eat a balanced diet for all the nutrients our body needs.