Healthy Pregnancy Dietadmin
Pregnancy is a highly demanding physiologic state. In low socioeconomic groups, you find maternal malnutrition in India causing low birth weight infants and high maternal mortality.
Pregnant/lactating woman should eat a variety of foods to ensure her own nutritional needs as well of her growing infant.
Macro and Micronutrients
Daily Increase In Energy, Protein and Fat intakes.
- Folic acid-Reduce the risk of birth malformations and increases the birth weight.
- Mother and Foetus need iron to meet the high demands of Rbc formation.
- Calcium is essential for both Pregnancy and lactation-
- For bones and teeth of the baby.
- For secreting breast milk rich in calcium.
- To prevent Osteoporosis in mother.
- Iodine is must for proper mental health of growing foetus and infant.
- Vitamin A in lactation improves child survival.
- Vitamin B12 and C are needed by the lactating mother.
What to Eat
- Energy-60% from rice, wheat and millets, Cooking oil(Also PUFA)
- Protein-Milk, fish, poultry and eggs
Proper combination of cereals, pulses and nuts.
- Folic acid-Green leafy veg, legumes, nuts and liver.
- Iron-Legumes, dry fruits and green leafy vegetables, meat, fish and poultry.
- Fruits rich in Vit C like amla, guava, citrus fruits and sprouts improve Iron absorption from plant foods.
- Calcium-Milk is the best source.
- Fibre-Eat whole grains, cereals, pulses and vegetables to avoid constipation.
- Plenty of fluids-8-12 glasses of water.
- Salt not to be restricted.
- Avoid excess tea and coffee.
- Daily supplements of Iron, Folic acid, Vit B12 and calcium after 14-16 weeks pregnancy and continue in lactation.