Lemon- Benefits and Side effectsadmin
Warm lemon water with or without honey on an empty stomach is an age old remedy for weight loss.
Lemon as a superfood is used widely for its high vitamin C content, its preservative properties , as a dressing on salads and to add tanginess to snacks and meals.
Lemon in addition contains Iron , calcium, potassium, B-complex vitamins, magnesium , copper , fibre and antioxidants. The potassium content is even higher than that of apples and it’s heart healthy.
- A glass of lemon juice half an hour before breakfast helps your belly to absorb nutrients better.
- Though lemon is acidic but its alkalizing for the body and restore body pH .
- Lemon helps in flu, cold and sore throat.
- Fresh lemon juice with water in the morning is a great liver detoxifier and helps to stimulate liver.
- Lemon also helps in vata, pitta, kapha and pains as per ayurveda. It removes indigestion, stomachache and improves appetite.
- In addition , it helps to control anxiety, palpitation in women and headaches.
- Applying on hair removes dandruff and curbs hairloss.
- Lemon as a pack works on removing acne, pimples and mixed with honey keeps skin wrinklefree.
Some lesser known Side effects of lemon
- Since lemon peel contains high amount of oxalates which inhibits calcium absorption and lead to stone formation in Gall bladder and kidneys.
- Due to its diuretic nature one feels like going to washroom time and again.
- Lemon contains an aminoacid called Tyramine which leads to a sudden increase in blood flow to the brain. This may cause acute migraines or chronic tension headaches.
- Having lemon juice directly may cause tooth cavities, tooth decay and discolouration due to citric acid and ascorbic acid.
So it’s better to be careful and consume lemon and its juice in moderation despite its benefits.