Things You Need To Know About Vitamin- B12Navneet kaur
If we talk about vitamins, vitamin B12 is one of the most important vitamin for human health which benefits one’s mood, energy levels, heart, skin and so on. It is a water soluble vitamin which is required to produce healthy red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body.
Why is it important to you?
- B12 controls levels of homocysteine (a kind of amino acid) in our blood. High levels of homocysteine can lead to heart disease.
- Vitamin B12 plays a vital role in the functioning of our brain and nervous system.
- Helpful in the production of the mood affecting substance.
Who are at risk of developing B12 deficiency?
- Strict Vegetarian who don’t eat any meat product.
- People suffering from nutrients absorbing deficiencies such as celiac disease, crohn’s disease and pancreatic disease.
- People suffering from HIV.
- In Aged People it leads to vision impairment
Highest food sources of vitamin B12 are:-
- Liver (beef)
- Fish (salmon, tuna ,mackerel, canned sardines).
- Red meat, Eggs, Crab.
- Fortified cereals (all bran)
- Cottage cheese.
- Fortified soy products (tofu).
Vegetarian do not need to worry, get vitamin B12 by following these things:-
- Serving of B12 in their routine diet in form of dairy products (yogurt, milk, cheese) whey powder, B12 fortified foods such as cereals, juices, etc.
- Don’t forget to check food label to see how much vitamin B12 they contain before buying them.
- Use vitamin B12 supplements with opinion of your physician.