Use salt in moderationadmin
Salt is essentially used in diets to enhance taste and flavour.It is also a known preservative.
All foods have sodium but its majorly present in added salt(40% Sodium,60%chloride).
Sodium helps in
- Maintaining water balance and equilibrium.
- Cellular functions
Daily Requirement of Salt-8g/day.
Sources of Sodium
- Cereals,Pulses,Vegetables,milk,animal and sea foods.
- 40% of Indian families consume about 10g salt daily(300-400 mg sodium).
- Salt should be restricted from an early age.
- Pickles,chips,ketchup,papad and canned foods contain high salt.
- Use always Iodized salt.
1.Salt intake is strongly associated with blood pressure.
- Prevalence of Hypertension is low when consumption is less than 3g salt per day.
- Potassium rich foods like fresh vegetables and fruits lower blood pressure.
- Intake of salt more than 10g is a risk factor for Hypertension.
2.Excess salt also causes gastritis and gastric cancer.
3.High sodium intake reduces bone density.